I was surfing around on my AppleTV the other night and was inspired by the resume screen after choosing a movie. The resume screen is just one of those details that makes the Apple experience so nice. When you choose a movie that you previously didn’t finish, it blurs the exact frame you left off on and floats the “resume” and “start from the beginning” options over the top of the frame. This allows you to remember where you had left off but also separates the modal popup from the background in a simple, pleasing way.
Here is how you create a similar effect on the iPhone.
1. Screen capture the home screen on your iPhone. You do this by pressing down the powerbutton on the top of the iPhone and then click the home button.
2. Connect the iPhone with your computer. Find the screen capture photo and import it.
3. Use a photo editing app to add a good amount of Gausian blur.
4. Add the blurred version back into iPhone (or however you do it on a PC) and sync it back with the iPhone.
5. Find it in your Photo library on your iPhone and set it as your new wallpaper.
It looks great when you receive a notification or an alert.
You can create your own or download the version I created.